1. Launch into an impromptu speech about the importance of friendship!
By the time you've finished there's no way they'll remember what they were originally talking about.
2. Propose a toast to something like world peace!
Everyone loves the clink sound that glasses make. Plus it looks so glamorous, who even needs a reason?
3. If possible, start crying!
A few crocodile tears and everyone will think you're too sad to fully participate in the conversation.
4. When you're caught off-guard by a question just run away!
It might be a good idea to join a gym to prepare for these moments.
5. If in doubt, hug it out!
Press your body against theirs so they don't notice how little you care about what they're saying.
6. If they're in your house then send them away!
It's the quickest way to get out of a boring conversation that's taking place at your own home.
7. Look confused but in a way that shows you were definitely listening!
People love explaining things because they get to feel superior.
8. Spontaneously tell them some good news!
Then you get to steal the conversation and talk about yourself for a few minutes.
9. Spontaneously tell them some bad news!
10. When the other person goes to the bathroom, find somewhere to hide!
You can make an excuse later. This is an emergency.
11. Invite them to take part in a staring competition!
This game requires little to no conversation. It's win-win.
12. Say something vague and start to laugh!
Laughter is infectious so they'll probably join in. Now you're best friends.
13. Just automatically say no to whatever they're asking!
They're probably just looking for a favor, anyway. #Stress
14. Sip fancy wine and try to look like you're thinking about your youth.
You were so young back then. Remember?
15. Distract them with a few compliments!
Interrupt the conversation to praise their style/talent/future life plans. They definitely won't mind.
16. Just smile and nod!
In the art of conversation this is the golden rule. Smile like your life depends on it.