1. What was your favorite part of shooting this episode?
One great moment took place in the scene where Valentine stabs Luke. Typically when we’re filming post-werewolf transformation Luke scenes, Isaiah wears little shorts. But in this particular scene, try as we might, we just couldn’t get the shot without catching a glimpse of the shorts. So in a truly heroic moment, Isaiah volunteered to film the entire scene naked, despite the freezing cold. We did manage to hide a heating blanket under the leaves, but know that when you're seeing Luke at the end of the episode, it's not a trick -- he's actually naked.
2. Any other good stories from set during the shooting of S2E10?
In the scene where Simon gets his throat slashed by the Soul Sword, we used a TON of blood. And the blood is pretty sticky stuff. There was so much of it that in one take, one of the couch cushions actually got stuck to his butt. When he jumped up to fight the Circle members, the cushion came with him. Needless to say, it was not very intimidating.
3. Getting into episode specific questions: why does Madzie protect Alec before she kills the Shadowhunters at the Institute?
Madzie and Alec had an adorable bonding moment when they met back at Iris Rouse’s place, and Madzie recognizes him from that. He was one of the few outsiders up until then who was nice to her, so her first impulse was to protect her new friend.
4. Raphael tells Izzy he's not interested in sex with her -- or anyone else. What exactly is he telling her about his sexuality?
Because he’s a vampire, Raphael doesn’t use current terminology to self-describe his sexuality. But if he did, he would refer to himself as a romantic asexual. We spent a morning with representatives from GLAAD and ACE Los Angeles, who shared their insight on the topic. Raphael is definitely romantically drawn to Isabelle and feels a deep emotional connection, he’s just not interested in sexual intimacy.
5. What makes Simon decide to try to reason with Valentine?
Simon has little chance of physically overpowering Valentine or the other Circle members at that point, so he uses the only other tool at his disposal -- his savvy verbal skills. And he’s hoping that there is some degree of humanity left in Valentine that he can appeal to.
6. Did Aldertree truly believe he was trying to help Izzy by giving her Yin Fen?
Aldertree’s a complicated character with complicated motivations. We’ll let the audience be the judge as to whether he was truly trying to help Izzy or use her dependence on Yin Fen to his advantage.
7. Simon survives the Soul Sword massacre! How does this happen?
At first we should believe it’s because Clary dove to cover him and shielded him from the blast. But as the episode plays out, it might be apparent to some that it was his as of yet unknown Daylighter status that saved him.
8. Alaric ends up being one of the victims of the Soul Sword. What went into the decision to kill him off?
This was a decision that we went back and forth on quite a bit, because Alaric’s a great character and Joel is such a talented actor. But we also wanted both our characters and viewers to really feel the impact of the Soul Sword’s destruction and not have all the victims be simply extras. When we finally wrapped on Joel’s last day, there was a huge round of applause, lots of hugs, and a multitude of wolf-themed presents.
9. Magnus and Alec say 'I love you' to each other in this episode! And we've seen them confiding in each other more and more in the episodes leading up to this. Have all of their respective walls come down at last?
Magnus and Alec absolutely have gotten closer over the past ten episodes, and the specter of possibly losing each other leads them to want to verbally profess their love. But just like in any relationship, this one will have its ebbs and flows. As close as the two of them are, there is still a lot about each other they will come to learn.
10. Why does Izzy reject Raphael so thoroughly? Is it because she's finally ready to get clean -- or because he rejected her romantic overtures?
Actually, none of the above. Izzy rejects Raphael because he was a part of the group that tried to kill Clary. Mess with anyone you like, but Izzy and Clary have always got each other’s back, no matter what.
11. Why does Jace change his mind about telling Clary he's not her brother after he sees her with Simon outside the Institute?
Something we really love from the books is the notion of Jace as a tormented hero. He may come off as arrogant and self-important at first, but he’s actually quite sensitive. When Jace sees Clary with Simon, he realizes that she’s happy. His decision to refrain from telling Clary is a selfless one -- he’s trying to protect that happiness for her, even though it might be painful for him.
12. Can you tease anything about the person who has the sword?
All will be revealed in Season 2B.
Rewatch the Winter Finale now!
And tell us in the comments which questions you'd like to ask the makers of Shadowhunters.