We couldn't believe it when Melissa's memories of her late husband's abuse finally came to light in season 1 episode 8 of Marvel's Cloak & Dagger. Nathan seemed like such a good dad and husband, but the truth was far more complicated. Read on to see how these Bowen family memory have changed forever.
1. When Nathan picked Tandy up from ballet practice, we thought we saw a warm and loving dad.
And, while he might have been a good dad to Tandy — he also had a dark side.
2. His obvious dedication to his incredible work made us respect him.
He worked late, he brought work home, he even died while fighting to keep the rig safe ... but all along he was taking his frustrations out on Melissa.
3. Now all the anniversaries Tandy and Melissa celebrated in Nathan's name are poisoned.
Each year Tandy was honoring a man that she didn't really know.
4. And every piece of sage wisdom he offered to Tandy now seems so hollow.
How could he give good advice when he was making so many mistakes in his own life?
5. Tandy will never again feel the bittersweet joy she experienced in Ivan Hess’ vision when she heard Nathan's voice after so many years.
It was the only thing she had left to hold on to and now it's gone.
6. We struggled with the effect Melissa’s addiction had on Tandy, but now we understand her a little better.
Everyone has their own coping mechanisms.
7. What’s worse is that Melissa's hopes showed us she still yearns for her old life with Nathan.
Despite what he did, she still loves and misses him.
8. But maybe the worst thing of all is that everything Tandy’s been fighting for is based on a lie.
She almost cleared Nathan's name only to find out that he wasn't the same man she remembered ... and we don't know if she will ever truly recover from that.
Let us know how shocked you were to discover the truth about the Bowen family in the comments.
Stream Marvel's Cloak & Dagger right here on Freeform.
If you or someone you know is a victim of abuse, there's help:
Visit http://www.thehotline.org or call the 24-hour cost free hotline at 1−800−799−SAFE(7233).