1. What part of the show is your favorite to think about/work on?
HO: I love being in the writers' room, but there's something about being on set and watching the episode come to life. You spend so much time working on the script, coming up with the story and writing and rewriting the script. Being on set is the culmination of all of that hard work, watching our incredible actors bring the show to life.
2. What was your favorite part of shooting this episode?
HO: There are some seriously great Simon and Jace moments in S2E7. I loved watching Alberto and Dom - who are such good friends in real life - try to get through the scene. They're both so funny, it was hard to get through a take. I also loved watching Kat and Dom do their fight scene. Our stunt coordinator Darren Maguire is amazing, and Dom and Kat both did their own stunts. If you think it's TV magic that makes them look so good, you're wrong. It's all Dom and Kat!
3. Any good stories from set during the shooting of S2E7?
HO: We all loved the angel Ithuriel's haunting cry. He was such a good actor -- that cry was almost like a song you can't get out of your head. The crew now mimics that cry whenever they’re called back from lunch. It was also fun watching Dom summon all of Jace's cockiness. It's a different side of Jace, and Dom loved bringing that sexy playful side to the role.
4. Getting into episode specific questions: Cleophas is, up until she learns about him torturing an angel, very loyal to Valentine. What is it about Valentine that engenders such loyalty in people?
HO: He's like any charismatic leader who starts out with a pure goal and somehow it gets perverted with power. But Cleophas is still a Shadowhunter and even she has a line she draws in the sand, which is torturing something as pure and good as an angel.
5. Izzy lashes out at Clary for not telling her about the sunshine rune. Is this the Yin Fen talking, or does Izzy really feel betrayed?
HO: I think it's a bit of both. Izzy would have felt hurt before the Yin Fen, but now that she's hooked on it she's not thinking rationally.
6. Clary is a little taken aback when she finds Simon getting ready for his date with Maia. Is she jealous?
HO: Clary's spent so long seeing Simon as a friend and he's always been there, but losing her mom and finding out Jace is her brother has changed Clary. She's suddenly seeing Simon in a whole new light. I mean I can't blame her. Did you see those abs?! But really sometimes extreme situations make us change how we view things.
7. We're really seeing a different side of Jace: sleeping around, blowing off Alec, helping Simon with the ladies. What specifically is bringing this out in Jace?
HO: Jace's frustration over having demon blood and being pushed to the limits with Aldertree has definitely affected him. But it's his discovery that Clary is his sister that has him acting reckless. Jace isn't exactly attuned to his feelings so it makes sense that he'd act out.
8. Luke really doesn't trust his sister at all. What is their relationship like? How does Cleophas feel about him?
HO: At one point Luke and Cleophas had a great relationship, but she chose Valentine and the Circle over Luke and that's something he can't forgive. In the end, that love still hasn't died. You see it when Luke tries to save Cleophas from Valentine. Even though she turned her back on him and called him names, he still loves her.
9. What is it that makes Alec decide he's ready to sleep with Magnus?
HO: Last season Alec was all about doing what was expected of him. This season Alec's really taking control and fighting for what he wants. He cares about Magnus and has been afraid for so long. He may not have been ready before, but I think he knows that with Magnus this is something truly special.
10. Why is Magnus worried that sleeping with Alec will change things between them? Is it because he knows it's Alec's first time?
HO: It's not just that Magnus knows it's Alec's first time (though that plays a part.... talk about pressure) It's also the idea that if Alec isn't ready and he rushes into something, this relationship could fall apart. Magnus hasn't had a connection like this before and he doesn't want to mess it up. It's such a surprising moment for Magnus, especially since as we saw in S2E7, he has lots of experience.
11. Izzy seems to be really hooked on Yen Fin. How worried should we be about her?
HO: Yin Fen is really addictive. We should definitely be concerned about Izzy moving forward.
12. Maia really sees - and likes - the real Simon. Though she calls him out on his feelings for Clary, is there any hope for these two?
HO: Maia and Simon are pretty great together. It may not be the right time for them yet, but I wouldn't count them out.
13. Can you tease anything about the significance of the vision that the angel shared with Clary and Jace?
HO: I'm sworn to secrecy by the Clave, but I can say that this vision will be very important for all of our characters. Let's just say what happened in S2E7 is going to play a huge role in the rest of the season.
Catch up on the new episodes of Shadowhunters right here on Freeform!
Why do you think the Angel showed Jace and Clary that vision? Tell us your thoughts in the comments.