1. What personal things did you draw on for the episode?
Like Simon, I too have never seen or read The Fault In Our Stars. That scene on top of the van is authenticity uninformed.
2. What was your favorite part of shooting this episode?
Probably the carnival set? We rented a bunch of vintage carnival equipment and set it up in the studio. Although it was admittedly creepy (and likely haunted), the entire crew got to eat cotton candy while we were filming so it was worth it.
3. Any good stories from set during the shooting of S2E9?
Because Simon can't go out during the day, we ended up shooting a lot of the scenes really late at night. There was one night in particular where they called lunch and I pretty much fell asleep on Clary's bed... I guess this isn't a good story so much as it's my chance to tell the world that Clary has a horrible mattress. It's like sleeping on an uneven bag of sand. She needs to talk to Simon about getting some of that memory foam from NASA.
4. Getting into episode specific questions: what's going through Jace's head when he catches Clary and Simon together in the canoe?
Jace loves giving Simon a hard time, but nobody wants to accidentally walk in on their sibling making out. Especially not in a canoe.
5. What prompts Aldertree to ask Izzy out? And what did he hope to achieve by getting her hooked on Yin Fen?
Who wouldn't want to date Izzy? Originally Aldertree might have been hoping to control her with the Yin Fen, but when he finds out that she doesn't need it anymore he's all the more impressed.
6. Why does Izzy turn Aldertree down?
He got Izzy hooked on Yin Fen, and then had her spy on Clary... He's a good looking guy, but he's not THAT good looking.
7. Does Maia going after Clary have anything to do with jealousy or is it just because Valentine needs her to activate the Soul Sword?
I don't think Maia gets jealous very easily, but she'll do just about anything to protect the people she loves. Going after Clary isn't personal, it's all about the Soul Sword.
8. Are Izzy and Raphael getting hooked on each other? How would you characterize their relationship at this point?
They seem to be developing feelings for each other, but there's so much other stuff mixed in it's hard for them to tell what's real and what's not. They've become codependent on each other. Izzy gets a rush from the Vampire Venom, and Raphael gets to taste Shadowhunter blood.
9. Meliorn is back! How has he changed since we last saw him?
He got in big trouble with the Seelie Queen for letting Clary into the Alternate Dimension in Season 1. She may have cut the leaf off of his face, but now he gets to wear awesome Seelie armor.
10. Poor Maia falls apart after she's locked up. Did Luke make the right call in caging her?
Locking up Maia was a tough decision for Luke -- he's always going to watch out for Clary, but Maia means a lot to him too. This is one of those times where there really is no right answer.
11. Does Valentine have any genuine paternal feelings for Madzie--or Clary or Jace for that matter--at all?
How can you not have feelings for Madzie? SHE'S SO CUTE! I think Valentine's a little bit of a softie at heart. He loves his kids... even if he has weird ways of showing it.
12. Is Izzy surprised Raphael has feelings for her?
Totally, although their addiction to each other definitely complicates the matter. Does Raphael really like her, or is he just using her for her blood? Hard to tell.
13. Simon has gotten really fierce when he fights! Is he becoming tougher the longer he's a vampire?
For sure. Especially when it comes to saving Clary, but he's still got a lot to learn. Taking down that feral Vampire was one thing, but fighting Valentine is a whole different ball game.
Have you seen S2E9 yet? Watch it right here on Freeform!
Which part of this episode surprised you the most? Tell us in the comments.