1. What personal things did you draw on for the episode?
I spent a lot of time in the writing of this working with the idea of faith, a theme I enjoy exploring in my writing. It’s hard to get everything in for time, but I loved the idea that Alec believes in the Angel, that Izzy is skeptical and that Raphael has his Catholic faith intact no matter what he’s been through.
2. Any good stories from set during the shooting of S2E8?
During shooting, I stayed behind to help break some more stories for the end of the Season 2A. [Fellow writer] Zac [Hug] went to set and had this to say: “During shooting for 2008, the crew dressed as the cast for Halloween, the Cubs won The World Series, and the US Election went down. And there we all were, spending every day at the same party at Magnus Bane’s house. On a set full of trained cats. I’ve had weirder weeks, but not by much.”
3. Getting into episode specific questions: what makes Raphael relent to help Izzy?
He can’t help himself. I mean, who among us, Downworlder or otherwise, can say no to Isabelle Lightwood?
4. And who does he want to forgive him for it?
It’s not to say that he doesn’t feel guilty about what he’s doing. He knows this is a slippery slope, but he can’t bear to see Isabelle in so much pain. So, being a good Catholic, he asks God for forgiveness for the sin he’s about to commit.
5. What made Simon finally feel brave enough to confess his feelings?
Luke and Maia have both given Simon a good kick in the pants. Plus, he’s a Vampire. It’s time he vamped up and told Clary what’s up!
6. Up until this point, it seemed like Clary mostly only thought of Simon as a friend. What's changed? Or has she always had feelings for him?
It’s not entirely a new development. If you’ve been watching closely, you’ve noticed a few moments here and there throughout the season where Clary has started to come to terms with the fact that she’s way more into Simon than she originally thought.
7. What has given Alec the courage to stand up to his mother?
Being true to yourself and who you really are gives you all kinds of strength - that and the love of a good partner.
8. What makes Jace worry that Magnus might hurt Alec?
It’s not so much that Jace is worried as he’s playing the protective brother. What “big brother” hasn’t threatened a sibling’s potential suitor?
9. What makes Izzy think she's not strong?
Izzy mistakenly believes she’s not strong because her mother can still get under her skin. But that’s just parents and kids, isn’t it?
10. Clary and Simon just got together. Why is her insecurity that he's interested in Maia?
It’s more that Maia understands what it is to be a Downworlder, something that Clary cannot relate to. She’s not used to someone else having a bond with Simon that supersedes her own.
11. Alec is driven to near-suicide by Iris’s spell. Is that anything underlying in him?
Not at all. The spell works by driving your mind into hallucinating about the fears of what’s immediately in front of you. As we’ve also just learned, Clary has angel blood, so the spell hits her hard, but not nearly as hard as Alec. For him, the guilt of Jocelyn is still VERY fresh in his mind, and the hallucination of Clary chases him to a rooftop and causes this perfect storm. Don’t worry, Alec Lightwood is tough. This would never be his move if he wasn’t under the force of an evil warlock.
12. Will Clary telling Alec she doesn't blame him at all for her mother's death allow him to let go of his guilt?
13. Is Jace's declaration that he's "never letting Clary out of his sight" just concern... or is it his way of getting in between Clary and Simon?
What do you think?
14. How worried should we be for Madzie now that she's in Valentine's clutches?
Insert maniacal laughter here.
Catch up on the new episodes of Shadowhunters right here on Freeform!
What question would you like to ask the writers? Let us know in the comments!