Read on for everything you need to remember from Siren Season 1, and then catch up on every episode of Siren Season 2! New episodes air Thursdays at 8/7c on Freeform.
1. The town of Bristol Cove was founded by Charles H. Pownall, who the legends say had his heart broken by a mermaid.
Known as the mermaid capital of the world, tourists come from far and wide to see the supposed home of the mermaid myth.
2. Charles H. Pownall fell in love with a mermaid. This love drove him mad and nearly caused the mermaid species to go extinct.
According to Helen Hawkins, a local mermaid expert, Charles' massacre forced the surviving mermaids deep below the water's surface, never to return.
3. The mermaids resurface in the present day after Pownall Seafood, the company Charles founded, overfish the waters and unintentionally force the creatures to hunt closer to the surface.
4. Secretly tracking the mermaids, the military plans to study the secrets of their strange powers by any means necessary.
A squad of soldiers abduct Donna from The North Star and keep her captive at a top secret facility run by Aldon Decker, a marine biologist who becomes obsessed with his subject.
5. Mermaid abilities include an incredible intelligence, a shape-shifting power that allows them to appear human on land, and an enchanting siren song which bewitches those who hear it.
All of which makes for one of the most fascinating creatures we've ever seen.
6. Ryn ends up on land, something that is forbidden by the other mermaids, while searching for her sister.
Afraid of history repeating itself, the mermaids have isolated themselves from the humans for centuries.
7. After rescuing Ryn and realizing what she truly is, Ben Pownall and his girlfriend, Maddie Bishop, devote themselves to protecting the mermaids.
While the two marine biologists initially treat Ryn like a new marine discovery, both struggle to understand their strange attraction to her.
8. Two crew members of The North Star, Xander and Calvin, plan to rescue their friend Chris from the military.
Though the two fisherman struggle to find answers, they do eventually track him down.
9. In a shocking twist, Helen reveals that she's part-mermaid.
Explaining how she knows so much about them.
10. Donna breaks free from Aldon Decker and the military's clutches, attacking a number of innocent (and not so innocent) facility workers in the process.
She manages to escape with a little help from a very sick Chris, who Xander and Calvin rescue just as Donna disappears into the woods around Bristol Cove.
11. Ryn agrees to wear a marine tracker for Ben and Maddie before she and Donna finally return to the water.
A few months pass with no sign of Ryn or the other mermaids, but then ...
12. Ryn returns to ask her human friends for help to save her species. Donna tries to convince her to go back to the water.
Ryn knows they only have so much food left, but Donna cannot trust the humans.
13. While tracking Ryn, Donna and her pack attack the North Star and kill Xander’s dad.
Driven by fear, these mermaids do the worst thing imaginable.
14. Sheriff Dale Bishop tries to discover the truth.
He realizes that the right thing to do is protect his town and his daughter, even if that means keeping the mermaids a secret.
15. After a showdown in Bristol Cove, Ryn becomes leader of her pack.
She commands her pack members not to harm the humans anymore and to return to the water immediately.
16. Blinded by grief, Xander accidentally shoots Donna in a desperate act of revenge, leading to her death.
He instantly regrets his actions, but it's too late. Ryn manages to reconcile with Donna before she passes away.
17. During Donna’s funeral, Helen reveals the truth about her mermaid heritage.
She's a descendant of Charles H. Pownall and his mermaid, which makes her a relative of Ben's.
18. Ryn realizes the power of the siren song and its hold over Ben. She chooses to leave Ben and Maddie and live by herself on land.
But was that really the right decision?
Find out what happens next in Bristol Cove.
Watch episodes of Siren Season 2, Thursdays at 8/7c.